page list

Monday, June 4, 2012

Counting my blessings!

There is a song we sing in church called, "Count Your Blessings" that I love, I find myself singing it at home quite frequently as of late. Sometimes I forget how blessed I really am and get caught up in feeling sorry for myself when life doesn't go my way. Here is the last verse of the song "So amid the conflict, whether great or small, do not be discouraged, God is over all; Count your many blessings, angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journey's end"

I am going to be over here in my little part of the world counting my many blessings, naming them one by one, feel free to join in with your beautiful voice too!

Much has happened this past week, we've started grilling on our grill to avoid heating up the house. It's been very hot during the day, but wonderfully cool at night. I plan on enjoying to the fullest, these cool evenings while it lasts!

We decided the first thing we were going to grill would be hamburgers, thanks to Kade our oldest son. He was craving a big juicy cheeseburger since we don't eat out anymore. Now that we have a gluten free household, that meant we needed some gluten free hamburger buns and I'll tell ya, store bought gf hamburger buns are not very palatable! I used the Udi's Copycat Bread recipe by Extraordinary Life in my previous post and made the 2 loaf recipe. I divided up the dough into 12 equal amounts on my greased Crown Muffin pans and put them into the oven to rise for 30 min. according to the recipe instructions. I however only baked them for 30 min. instead of 70 min. You do not need Crown Muffin pans to make hamburger buns, just use parchment and two cookie sheets, divide the dough into 6 piles on each sheet, then flatten and round each pile as best you can. Put into oven and let rise for 30 min. and bake for 30 min. You do need to let them cool or they will go flat and the texture of the bread will be different. However if you decided to use them as rolls, you could definitely eat them while hot.

Gorgeous!

Perfect!

My bun + My Hubby's 1/2 lb. juicy burger = Drool worthy deliciousness!




Look at the great deal I found at iherb...

Excuse the messy room and focus on the 10# Now brand Mega Pack Tapioca  Flour bag (and two of my cuties).

I use Tapioca starch flour in the Udi's Copycate Bread recipe as well as many other gluten free baking recipes, so it was a wonderful find when I saw this 10# bag on iherb for less than $20.00! I have an iherb code that will get you $5.00 off your first order, just enter FAT433 at checkout. If you are already an iherb customer...what are you waiting for, go order some!

We have a couple of camping trips planned this summer, so I've pulled out some of my camping books I have collected over the years.


This is not even all of them...yes, I am a cookbook addict...or should I say book addict :) I have a few coming from the Library to check out as well. I am looking for easy recipes for our trip. Not just easy, but healthy too.

Anybody got a recipe they would like to share?

Any tips on gluten free camping would be wonderful and welcome!

Steph

3 comments:

  1. You are amazing. I am going to send this on to my friend as well. Her daughter has to be gluten free and it has been challenging.

    My church sings the same song. It was one of my mother's favorite songs growing up. I loved how she would sing "so amid the conflict whether great or small, do not be discouraged God is over all...count your many blessings angels will attend. Help and comfort give you til your journey's end." Even through the ravages of breast cancer she counted the blessings. I haven't been very grateful the last couple weeks. I have been a little down since mother's day. Thank you for the reminder. I love to read your blog! It always lifts me!!! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind comment, it made my day and lifted me! I hope your friend will find my blog helpful, eating gluten free can be very challenging to say the least!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a complete roll making tutorial on my blog using my Udi's Copycat bread recipe. You can go see it here:

    http://my-extraordinary-life.blogspot.com/2011/01/gluten-free-rolls.html

    Lisa @ Extraordinary Life

    ReplyDelete