page list

Monday, August 13, 2012

Prosciutto Wrapped Dates

Since no sugar is allowed on the 21 Day Sugar Detox or the Whole30, I have been searching for sugar free bacon locally with out any luck at all. Online, you can purchase some from U.S. Wellness Meats, but we cannot afford that right now unfortunately.

While reading posts in the Whole30 Forum, someone mentioned they used prosciutto in place of bacon and that the ingredients were only pork and salt...perfect! The person mentioned that he purchased his from Trader Joe's, so the next time I was down there (I love Trader Joe's) I looked for it. They had a few different kinds of prosciutto, only one did not contain sugar, so please always read the ingredients, never assume. I ended up buying two packages, each pack contained 4oz and cost $5.90...yikes I know, but I was desperate lol. I later found the same brand of prosciutto (still be sure to check ingredients) at Costco, you get 12oz for $12.00, so you basically get 4oz free over there, a much better deal!

Anyhoo, the reason I was hoping to find some sugar free bacon or an acceptable substitute was to make these gorgeous, tasty beauties!


Prosciutto Wrapped Dates


Prosciutto Wrapped Dates


Package of Prosciutto
Dates- I prefer the caramel like flavor of deglet, but medjool will work great too.


If you were to use a whole 4oz package of prosciutto, you will need 14 dates. Each slice of prosciutto makes two wrapped dates.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

With a knife (regular of paring), gently press into the flesh of the dates. Then with your thumbs, pry the flesh open as gently as you can and remove the pit.

When all dates have been pitted, carefully remove a slice of prosciutto and gently tear in half with your hands. Then take one half and fold lengthwise. then wrap around the date. Don't worry about the prosciutto tearing while you are removing it, it happens all the time, you can still salvage it easily, just fold as best you can and wrap.

Lay on parchment covered baking sheet seem side down.

Bake in oven for 12 minutes. Let cool, then enjoy!


*If you are able to have dairy, stuff dates with feta cheese before wrapping.

**If you are able to have nuts, stuff dates with almonds, walnuts, or pecans before wrapping.

Here are some photos of me putting them together...







Here is a picture of the brand of prosciutto I used.

I got this package from Trader Joe's. The one from Costco is a two pack and looks a little different.


Some of you might be wondering why I am eating dates when I am trying to avoid sugar. Simple, dates are a whole, unprocessed food, perfectly fine to include in your Whole30 as long as you don't over do it. (Plus they are full of fiber, B vitamins, potassium, etc...)

These dates are perfect for taking on a hike or bike ride, they are little energy bundles! I hope you will give them a try, they are quite delicious!

Steph

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm....these sound strangely delicious. I never thought about wrapping dates with bacon. I'm sure it tastes really good. Can't wait to give this a shot, especially since there are only two ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandon, I hope you do try these, they are rediculously good! If you use bacon, it depends on how thick the bacon is, but you may have to bake longer.

    I hope you will come back and tell me how you liked them.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm I love dates wrapped in bacon, I actually had some on saturday. Here in Norway they do have bacon without sugar in the supermarket, very expensive though. :( Proscutio is probably as good. Thank you for the tip about feta cheese and nuts, I'll try that sometime. :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kari, you are so lucky to have sugar free bacon over there in Norway! Here in the U.S. they put sugar in everything sadly. I hope in the future, that will change.

      Feta stuffed, bacon (or prosciutto) wrapped dates are over-the-moon delicious, I hope you like it as much as I do :)

      Steph

      Delete